Apple Oat Muffins *vegan*


I promised you that I would share this new recipe I came up with when my sweet neighbours dropped off a huge bucket of apples for us. These turned out really well! The recipe came about from combining a whole bunch of recipes to make the exact muffin I was hoping for. They had to be healthy, tasty and vegan.

These muffins are heavier and heartier than your average muffin. Don't be surprised when they don't rise as much as other muffins you may be used to baking.

So here you are, I hope you love them!

Ingredients
2 cups shredded apples

Dry
1 1/2 cups whole grain flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup teff flour)
3/4 cup quick oats
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 heaping Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt

Wet
1 1/4 cup any milk (I used 3/4 cup of full fat coconut milk and 1/2 cup almond milk)
3/4 cup demerera style brown sugar
1 Tbsp psyllium husks + 2 Tbsp water (or one egg if you don't care to make them vegan)
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp black strap molasses
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400
Spray your muffin tin
Peel and shred your apples
Squeeze your shredded apples a bit so they are not so wet and set them aside
Mix all dry ingredients
Mix together separately the 'egg' mixture- psyllium husks and water
Then mix all wet ingredients together including the 'egg mixture'
Mix wet and dry together gently
Add the apples gently
Fill muffin trays by pressing this heavy mixture into each muffin cup
Bake for about 20 minutes at 400

The word from the kids on these muffins: "Awesome!"
I've been having a really busy and happy life as of late! I just celebrated a milestone birthday (and had an amazing time which I'm hoping to tell you about real soon) and I've been filling a bunch of sewing orders and making Halloween costumes and bags for the kiddies. All the while, continuing to work on the kids room which I can see now is a much bigger project than I ever anticipated but it is coming along quite nicely.

The weather has been cold and rainy so we've been building fires every day to keep warm and cozy. Today I'm hoping to get my studio cleaned up and get a bunch more sewing done. But, maybe I'll bring my sewing machine down into the family room again today because sewing next to a roaring fire is just the best!

♥ Andrea ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment today.