A Doll Blanket For a Birthday Girl


Here is the finished doll blanket I just made. All of the fabric I used is Sandi Henderson. I purchased a bundle of her fabric from Fabricworm some time ago.

Oh, I just took a look at her recent book, Sewing Bits and Pieces: 35 Projects Using Fabric Scraps It looks fantastic. I think I have to buy it! Also, Handmade Beginnings: 24 Sewing Projects to Welcome Baby by Anna Maria Horner looks great too.

For the simple doll quilt, I used the instructions on this page.

They suggest this as a good project for teaching young people to sew. I think that is a wonderful idea. I think it is so very important that young people are taught skills. It helps them to have a greater sense of pride and value. Sewing projects can also help young people to find a sense of purpose. Sewing is a perfect pastime during difficult years when emotions are running high and young ones are exploring their identity and looking for ways to express themselves. I was so lucky to learn to draw and paint at a young age and I do think that making art was a real saving grace for me in my high school days.

I do wish I had learned to sew sooner. But, I am so thankful that my mother-in-law was kind and patient enough to teach me to sew and to give me my sewing machine! Thanks so much Mom. My kids are already eager to learn to sew. My 3 year old son told me just this morning that he wants to sew me a bat. I can't wait!

I've decided that when I muster up the courage to embark upon a big quilt project, it is going to be a Tetris quilt. My husband requested one and lo and behold, it's been done and there are instructions like this one on Quilter Geek. Johnny's birthday is in August so that should be enough time to plan and execute this huge undertaking.

♥ Andrea ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment today.