Tomato Soup



Last week I felt like having a tomato soup.I went looking for a recipe on line but I didn't like anything that I found. I seem to cook like I play snooker. Oh oh, I feel a story coming on...

Years ago when I was just barely of age to drink, I went to this little dive of a bar with some friends and had a few too many. Seriously, this is just like the bar we were at...



I put a dollar on the pool table and then to my surprise proceeded to beat the pants off of every guy around the table (okay, maybe the guys weren't quite as rowdy as the ones in the video). This wasn't the first time this had happened though. Once in a while, it's like I'm struck with a divine super power and I live in 'the zone'. On other days when I try my hand at pool, I can't hit a ball on the table to save my life!

Like snooker, much of the time me + the kitchen = disaster and bad food. But other days, like in the case of this tomato soup, I cook like a seasoned chef! I would be happy to eat this tomato soup in a fancy pants restaurant. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as myself and my family did.

Here's the play by play...

First I sauteed my veggies; 1 large carrot, 2 celery stalks, 1 sweet onion and lots of chopped garlic.



Here's a great time saving tip. We chop up a whole bulb of garlic once or twice a week and keep it covered in extra virgin olive oil in a sealed glass jar in the fridge. There usually is not a day that goes by that I don't need chopped garlic around.



While sauteing my veggies, I chopped eight tomatoes.



Then I added the tomatoes, lots of sea salt, 2 tsp basil, 1 tsp oregano, 1 1/2 tsp aged balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp of maple syrup and 3 tsp fresh chopped parsley and sauteed until the tomatoes were well done.

Then I added the whole mixture to the blender.



I blended the soup for a long time until it was very smooth.



This is a nourishing and delicious soup. We had it with a lovely side salad of mixed baby greens, shredded carrots, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, celery and balsamic vinaigrette.

Spring is really in the air around these parts. Every year, I find myself surprised by what a relief spring is and how enlivening it feels. Just as I start to feel that I can't possibly take another cold and gray day, the air changes bringing feelings of hope and rebirth.

Here's my favorite photo from yesterday's bright and sunny afternoon...



May sun be on your face and hope be in your heart this weekend! I know, it's so cheesy! But what the heck, I'm a softy :)

♥ Andrea ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment today.