Appetite for Reduction: Book Review


 Appetite for ReductionIsa Chandra Moskowitz 2011, Da Capo Press

A little while ago, I asked around to see what vegan cookbooks people could recommend. I was hoping to incorporate even more vegan meals into the mix and I asked around because I wanted to get a really good one. Elyica recommended Appetite for Reductionby Isa Chandra Moskowitz and I'm so glad that she did. This book is fantastic. It is full of flavourful recipes that are easy to make, which is just what I was hoping for in a new vegan cookbook. I took a few photos of some of the recipes we've tried so far.


Black Bean, Zucchini, & Olive Tacos

These tacos are so meaty and flavourful. Everyone really liked them. The filling is great in tortillas and also just on it's own with brown rice. I had to add a bit of regular salsa to these because the salsa verde was too spicy for the kidlets but for anyone who loves heat, the recipe is perfect the way it is. Johnny and I had never tried salsa verde before. It is so good! It's become a staple in our fridge.


Veggie Pot Pie Stew

This stew is the bomb. It's like a stick to your ribs, thick and delicious Irish stew. It's a soup that eats like a meal. Oh, wait a minute, that's another soup's tagline. It totally fits here.


I also made the Everyday Chickpea-Quinoa Salad. Isa says she eats this everyday and I know why. This salad is fresh, light yet filling and really yummy.


Portobello Pepper Steak Stew

This was the latest recipe we tried. Oh man, is it good! I took a taste and then found myself eating a bunch before finally stopping myself to take a photo to share. I wasn't the only one to have more than one bowl for dinner and then I ate two more for lunch the next day.

We've tried a bunch of other recipes from the book also; Hottie Black Eyed Peas & Greens, Cool Slaw, Spicy Blue Potato & Corn Salad and Buffalo Tempeh. I'm sure there are a couple more that I can't remember right now. Every recipe I've made with this cookbook has been stellar.

If you're looking for a new vegan cookbook, this is so the one to buy.

Buying this book also turned me on to Isa's vegan recipe site, The Post Punk Kitchen. That site is giving me a whole lot of vegan inspiration these days.

♥ Andrea ♥

4 comments:

  1. Damn damn damn it's a week until pay day and your post has completely forced me to buy this book :) Like you I really want to incorporate more vegan recipes into my life and the quinoa salad looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Anna! I'm so glad to recommend this book to you. You will not be disappointed! :)

      Delete
  2. I have this book and I love it. It explains so much about the dishes and is so healthy and delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great one! I love Isa's blog too. I might get another one of her books as well. Veganomicon looks fantastic.

      Delete

Hello! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment today.